Sunday, October 31, 2010

Costumes and Candy

I'm not a fan of anything "scary" or "gory." I literally had to change the channel the other night watching the Shrek Halloween special because the ginger bread brides were creeping me out and I get nightmares. I once got dragged to a "Saw" movie with my friend and her new boyfriend but then made it very awkward when I got up and walked out after 5 minutes.

However, despite my hatred for guts and gore and anything frightening, I used to LOVE Halloween as a kid. It doesn't seem very Christian of me but I did. I went to public school and my family never did the church "Festival" alternatives- we were all about costumes and candy. And we were serious about our candy. From a young age we ditched the cute candy baskets and adopted the pillow cases for maximum candy-holding capacity. We mapped out our routes and then we filled those cases. Perhaps my favorite part of the evening was late that night, after all the goods had been acquired, we'd set up shop in the living room and the massive trading began. Here we learned first hand about economics and politics. We learned what others valued, how to get what we wanted, and how to get rid of those plain hershey bars by adding a pack of Skittles to the trade. You couldn't get me to let go of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups but I was eager to get rid of those nasty flavored tootsie rolls. We were set for weeks and sometimes, if our rationing was strict, months. Our mom and dad gave us limits to how much candy we could consume each day so I spent most of November confessing to God my lies to my parents about how much candy I had eaten. (perhaps this is why both Trent and I have had at least 5 root canals each). One year our stupid dog Duke ate my entire stash. It was devastating. It's why I secretly wasn't too sad when he had to be put down. Ten year old me held grudges and was very serious about her candy.

It wasn't just the candy that I loved. I loved the costumes. If you had a good one, you were the talk of the town at the school parade. I can remember all my costumes and most of my siblings' as well. I'll never forget when my mom helped Trent and Travis dress as cheerleaders. She got a call from the principal because of their inappropriate use of balloons.
My LEAST favorite costume happened during my LEAST favorite year in elementary school: fourth grade. I don't remember much from that year except I got my first D on a test, cried buckets about it and that year I had a lame Halloween costume. I had been planning on being a Hawaiian girl but the morning of the parade I put on the "grass skirt" and realized there was very little grass left on it. I panicked. "Mom!!! There's no grass on my grass skirt! What can I be for the parade?" Ever resourceful and with only 5 minutes to create a costume, she suggested that I be a rich person. I hesitated, knowing it wasn't going to get any second looks, but I was desperate. Going to school without a costume was never an option. This "rich woman" costume consisted of me wearing one of my mom's dresses, hair in a bun, mom's pearls and lots of red blush and red lipstick. (My mom's life goal has always been to get me to wear lipstick so I'm thinking this was the beginning stage of her plan to make it so I don't "look as pale as death.") It was a costume but basically, I was my mom for Halloween. Not cool by kid standards.

My FAVORITE costume came not surprisingly, during my FAVORITE year: fifth grade. Mr. A was our incredibly cool teacher who called me "Katie Hardly-a-Man" and dressed as a "Jamaican" that year, painting his arms and face black and wearing a wig with dreds. This was the year of "the train." I think Megan's mom thought of the costume but I got to be part of what I deemed "the most original costume" of the year. Megan, Lauren, Jenny and myself were four parts of a train. I can still smell the fumes as we spray painted our cardboard boxes and decorated them on my driveway. We walked everywhere that day with a proud swagger and in a single-file line, occasionally making train sounds. We had a cool costume and we knew it. I loved being part of a group costume and felt the envious stares of others in less original costumes. It was awesome.
Yes, I sported some fashionable stirrups- though not quite as cool as Heidi's birkenstocks with socks.

Heidi and I were reminiscing about our trick-or-treating escapades and candy obsession and realized that somewhere along the path between adolescence and adulthood, our passion for such sugary sweetness dwindled. Snickers, Skittles, Starburst, and Sugar Babies don't make our eyes light up like they used to. Milk Duds and Milky Ways aren't quite as delectable as I remember. Like many holidays, the magic and thrill of Halloween has dissipated over the years. However, though our trick-or-treating days are long over, we now get to experience the magic through Heidi's boys. We got to witness their excitement as they donned their pirate costumes and said, "Arrr, me matey." We got to experience their wonder and joy as they watched their baskets fill with sugary goodness. We got to see their eyes light up when they received a handfull of candy and we saw them quake in genuine fear when their dad chased them in a disturbing mask. Indeed, Halloween is much more fun and even magical when experienced as a child.
Now I'm going to try something new on this blog. I'm asking for reader participation. I haven't done this before because I fear no one will respond and I'll feel like a total tool with no friends. (It's Saturday night and I'm blogging at Panera in my pajamas so I'm already dancing dangerously close to the "loser" line.) However, I've been blog stalking for awhile and this guy and this guy always put questions at the end of their posts for people to comment. The comment section is hilarious. They have some uber funny friends/blog readers and I know I do too. That being said, don't feel the pressure to be "uber funny." Just be honest. Consider this a birthday present to me because comments make me feel good about myself. Yeah, my birthday was in May- you missed it. So, without further ado or groveling, here are your questions:

1. What was your favorite candy as a kid?

2. What was your favorite Halloween costume?

Mom, Heidi- you'd better comment- I know I have at least two readers in you guys:) I'll start us off in the comment section.

32 comments:

  1. 1. Flavored tootsie rolls... maybe that was why trading was so good:)

    2. Can of Coke ... a close second was my last time dressing up when Dan and I wore scary masks, put on rollerblades so we could cover more ground and went off to fill our pillowcases. My trick-or-treating days came to a halting stop with a lady answered the door and said aren't you boys a little old for trick or treating. Maybe college is a little old:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Mini skittles packages
    2. Batgirl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi- I was envious of that coke costume. Also, I will never forget your boys' faces when Dan came out in that mask. I cannot believe you wore it in college.

    Lesley- Can totally picture you as batgirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. krackle bars, rolos, 100 grand, reese's, snickers, starburst, skittles, mike & ike's, fun dip, wow i have issues..good thing there's not 2 GIANT bowls of leftover trick-or-treating candy in the cupboard
    2. the idea for us to rollerblade came from my 6th grade costume back in minnesota (yes katie I had a mullet)..a friend and I dressed as hockey players back when rollerblades were the new thing. we covered so much ground i had to go back to my house 3 times to empty my pillow case. the only thing that slowed me down was an extended stop at a nice lady's house who bandaged the bloody knees i got coming down a huge hill

    ReplyDelete
  5. We lived on a farm so didn't go trick or treating. Instead we had a costume party at our house. One year I crawled around under a buffalo hide. When my aunt came in the house I scared her so badly that she jumped up on the couch and started screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan-So are you saying Huddy's early candy obsession is from you? I had forgotten about Fun Dip- so good! I love that you had a mullet and that you fell roller blading. I still cannot believe you got Heidi to (a) trick or treat with you when y'all were both WAY past trick-or-treating age and (b) wear that awful mask.

    Grandma- I LOVE that story! Perhaps we all get our love of scaring others from you:) Also, why on earth did y'all have a buffalo hide?

    ReplyDelete
  7. milk duds of course along with starburst and cherry flavored anything. I pretty much loved all sugar besides the strange salt water taffy things which of course I love now because I forced myself to eat them as a child just so that I wouldn't have to throw them away. o and sixlets too. bla, can't stand those things! fake chocolate? no thanks. But yes I forced myself to eat those as well.
    And my favorite costume was my gypsy costume. lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1-sugar babies
    2 only costume I remember is little lou lou,with this giant mask,

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1- Curly Tops (Filipino Chocolate)
    2- group costume (Lion, Witch and Wardrobe) - I was the White Witch

    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amber- good call on the salt water taffys. So funny that you ate them anyways!

    Mom- Who the heck is Lou Lou?

    Aunt Maddy- what a fun costume! I wanted to be the White Witch this year since I've been told on numerous occasions that I look like her but I couldn't find a cool costume. Also, curly tops sound nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. candy- swedish fish (red only) or why dont they make mamba's for Halloween??

    Costume- though my boobs were spectacular and i forgot how cool that troll pirate really was..my favorite is when mom got me a straight-jacket and the kid in front of me during the parade had to put foaming candy in my mouth so i could maintain my crazy person appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candy- was and still is Tootsie Rolls. Though there was one year I hit up Eagle Hills and got full sized candy bars! It didn't matter WHAT flavor, they were FULL sized!! That was an awesome year!

    Costume- I'd have to agree that my favorite costume was the train as well. I remember getting so many comments as we strutted along the streets and with every house we went to!! I also have a vivid memory of being really excited about being Dracula in 1st grade. I think bc I got to paint on my face and wear the fake teeth- I felt as if I was truly transforming into someone else!!

    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only got to trick or treat up until 5th grade then we moved overseas. :-(
    Favorite candy- toss up between Milky way and Three Musketeers. My parents never invested money in Halloween costumes so it always had to be whatever we could pull out of the closet. Oh wait.....except those awful plastic masks with the rubber band that always got tangled in my hair. So my favorite costume was probably my last, in 5th grade, I was a hobo. Wore an old suit coat of my dad's, used my mom's mascara to paint on stubble.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trent- I can still see you foaming at the mouth. Classic. What are Mambas?

    Lauren- Thanks for your help yesterday. You're right- Eagle Hills was bomb. Praise Jesus for rich people.

    Angie- love the stubble idea. I used eye liner when I drew on my goatee. Also, when I think of Mozambique and candy, I really miss Top Decks. What does your family do on Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. Butterfingers and nerds
    2. Miss Recylclable USA - obviously a homemade costume (which I made from all recylclable products, milk cartons, soda tops, etc...). Don't be jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. milk duds or mike and ikes
    2. when I was a shark in 3rd grade and katie that picture is comedy what makes if funny is trent looks like a natural girl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Candy – Crunch bars. The 10 year-old-ME was fascinated by how they got the Styrofoam INSIDE the candy.

    Costume – 1) It always snows in Colorado on Halloween and is freezing so my mom had the genius idea of dressing me up as Admiral Byrd (yes, the South Pole expedition leader – nerd alert?). Parents loved it, kids didn’t get it, and I am still a bit ticked at my mom because it was 75 degrees that year and I almost fainted from dehydration. 2) Rodeo clown was pretty sweet. When else can you get away with wearing spandex, cut up baggy jean shorts, and suspenders – not to mention act like a total fool? Of course, I was freezing. 3) I was a gum ball machine in 2nd grade. Think about it – dressing up as a candy machine ON Halloween – that is poetic. I have never been as popular as I was that day. Although, again, still ticked at my mom for not letting me charge real money. All they had to do was press a button to get gum? Obviously she was not big on the economic life lessons that the Hardeman kids were wisely learning 1,000 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lori- you share a passion with Vander. He got a box of nerds and when the guy put it in his basket he squealed with glee and yelled, "Katie! I got nerds!" Also, I really need to see a picture of Miss Recyclable USA- that is so perfectly Lori.

    Travis- I agree on numerous points. A- excellent candy choice, B- Your shark was awesome and C- Trent looks way to much like a natural girl. I suppose it makes sense since he and I look alike and I made a very convincing boy.

    Katie- I'm glad you explained because I was about to google "Admiral Byrd." Gotta love those costumes that your friends don't understand. I wish I could have been there to watch you explain. Rodeo Clown? Gum ball machine? You took the costumes to a whole other level of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Favorite candy- Mr. Goodbar.
    Favorite costume - This year! I was a super cool frog companion to my girls' Tinkerbell and fairy friends.

    I have laughed so very much reading your blog. I so thank you for that. I teach high school at a private (Christian) school, too. You help me remember on not so great days the many reasons why I do what I do.


    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  20. Candy - laffy taffy or three musketeers....i was weird and used to eat all the chocolate off the outside and save the "mush" for last! Dan- Fun dips were a HUGE score when we got those! The kids got some out here and Trav was first to trade to get one!

    Costume- Polly Pocket...I had a super cool mask! And I will say, one year I was a classic ghost with a white sheet and holes cut out. I don't know if it was because we had no money or if I was so indecisive my mom gave up and threw a sheet over me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kim- "Super Cool Frog Companion"???? Consider me intrigued. Also, I've been reading your blog too! I love how you write and I love the "blogging community."

    Emma- remember how obsessed Vander was with Laffy Taffys at Christmas? Oh and the inside of Three Musketeers is disgusting. You are very weird. Now I can't get the "Polly Pocket" song out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1. skittles, no hesitation.

    2. Cruella De Vil with my long fake cigarette and white and black wig or the Train (I loved the cool group factor this one brought us and I felt super cool as the caboose). I have yet come up with any Halloween costume ideas that are half as creative as my mom's were for me as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Katie!! you know what Mambas are! we got them all the time before church..its the chewy fruit flavored candy... and for reals i was jealous of Trav's shark costume pretty sure it was "tophers" moms creation. I didnt use her name so i could call him topher! Katie B.- I want to be a rodeo clown next year now! As for ppl not knowing who your costume was, i was Justin Bobby two years ago and i thought it was genius but had to explain myself alot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1) Milky way
    2) A french maid. Seriously, what kind of mom lets her 7th grade daughter dress as a french maid??? I loved it though

    And who came up with the idea of dumping a ton of sugar and artificial coloring and flavorings into kids bodies, anyway? Oh, I miss those days. We even contemplated taking Eden "trick or treating" so we could have her hold the plastic pumpkin out to gather candy for her parents. We realized that we would probably be pushing it with a one-year-old, though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Megan- I instantly pictured you as Cruella once you mentioned it. That was a pretty spectacular costume. Your pumpkin belly this year was creative- you have your mom's genes.

    Trent- Mambas- duh! Stupid me. I kept picturing a black snake. I loved those Mambas. Also, remember when Trav ran into Justin and called him Justin Bobby? Oh Trav.

    Christy- I was a french maid in sixth grade! Such scandalous girls. Weren't you Belle one year too? I loved that dress. I think you, me and Meg trick-or-treated in your neighborhood in both 7th and 8th grade. Remember our "housewives" costumes? Do Spaniards even trick-or-treat?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Milk Duds (just like your Mom) My best costume was I was Elly May from the Beverly Hillbillies. My Mom (your Grandma) let me have three live kittens crawl on me during the school costume parade.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

    Egyptian girl in 3rd grade- I think because I was obsessed with crimped hair and my crimped hair totally fit with the costume. Although a close second would be my Minnie costume, but I've worn it so much now the novelty has worn off.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aunt Deb- live kittens???? Hands down thee best props for a costume. Grandma was pretty stinkin cool.

    Allie- I can totally picture you with crimped hair and in your Minnie outfit. Your house was always stocked with costumes- I used to love to play at the Manos's because we always got to dress up and we always got to jump on your mom's bed. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh man, I miss that Belle costume! I forgot about that one!

    Yes, Spaniards do trick-or-treat, as we discovered last Sunday night. We were confused when we heard our front doorbell ring (we don't know anyone nearby) until Andrew opened it and saw some kids in halloween costumes holding their bags out for candy. He went racing down to the basement and came back with boxes of organic raisins for them. They just stared into their bags, completely bewildered and definitely not excited. Poor kids!

    ReplyDelete
  30. 1) Hands down starburst jellybeans. Or maybe gusters. Does that mean it's not hands down anymore? Hands and feet down.

    2) I was a pirate for 4 years in a row, then in junior high I went to a older kids party as a female cheerleader. I won a trophy. I still have it. My first cross dressing experience in 8th grade was the last time I dressed up for the ween. I'm hoping a new son will change that.


    Ps. I highly respect/fear your father.

    ReplyDelete