Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Generic Gratitude

Every year when my mom's side of the family gathers on Thanksgiving, we play the candy corn game. Every year we have to decide what we will announce to the entire family that we are most thankful for and then we eat a candy corn. So every year we must decide: do I go cheesy and sentimental? If I do, I risk sounding insincere in my gratitude. So should I attempt to be original and creative in my response? But then if I admit I'm thankful that my adult acne has finally cleared up, my family might think me vain and ungrateful for the major blessings in my life.

This year we're not all gathering so here is my response if we were to play. I'll do both. I'll go generic and then specific.

1) I am thankful for my family. This is a total cop-out in the candy corn game. We all have incredible families. I judge relatives for their lack of creativity and sincerity when they simply say, "I'm thankful for family." Why? Why are they so great? Here's why mine is:

My parents are wonderful. They are my biggest fans and have given us all a healthy self-confidence and awareness of our place in this world. They don't let us have overinflated views of ourselves and they tell us when we are foolish or silly or wrong. But they have always pointed us to Jesus and taught us that we are so very loved by both our creator and by them. Plus, they modeled for us how to live the abundant life and how to love deeply and laugh at oneself.
My siblings are pretty fantastic. We all live within a few minutes of each other (okay my brothers are still down the hall from each other) and see each other numerous times during the week. I don't think it's typical how much we enjoy each other. There is something truly special about hanging out with people who know basically everything about you- every silly crush, every embarrassing moment, every job, every relationship, every mishap and moment you wish everyone would forget about. We are ruthless when it comes to teasing and we have 20 plus years of material to work with. No wonder we are always laughing when we get together.
Trent, Trav and Heid also picked pretty incredible spouses. I don't know anything different so I can only imagine how un-fun it would be if a sibling married someone boring or rude or awkward. Instead Dan, Emma, and Teri are fun, kind, and only occasionally awkward. Now if only they'll teach me how to dance...

Obviously I'm thankful for my three remarkable nephews. See this post or this post if you don't believe me. These boys never fail to bring laughter and joy.

2) I am thankful for my friends. Another generic cop-out. But my friends truly are unique and wonderful. I've often told them that God knew I would be single for longer than many others and thus, He provided me with extra special girls. Granted, most of these treasures don't live close by and I'm not much of a phone person, but when I do get to see them or catch up on the phone, my sides typically hurt from laughing so hard. I've also been blessed with recent friendships as well- girls in similar stages of life and in close proximity who keep me laughing daily. Girls who sneak into my room and leave notes like this on my computer:
3) I am thankful for my job. I think I have the best job in the world. Not just because I have summers off. Sure, I often complain about grading essays being the "bane of my existence" and sure, I answer the same question about 8 times every class period, but I still love it. I love it because every day is different. Every day is an adventure. Maybe not as crazy as it was in Maputo but as I'm learning to live in the present, I am seeing each day as an adventure and teaching truly is a rewarding adventure. My students are hilarious and random and sponges eager to learn. My colleagues are hilarious and random and friends eager to encourage. My players are hilarious and random and jokesters eager to make fun of me. Right now it's the lisp. They die every time I try to say, "free fast break" too quickly. They also got me pretty good yesterday. "Coach, can you come get the bug out of Kari's locker?" Naivee me came to the rescue, opened the locker and out jumped Jelissa. I screamed so loudly that two girls collapsed on the locker room floor in tears. I am truly blessed.

4) I am thankful for my health. See how boring and insincere these sound? But I really am. Even though my teeth are having issues and falling out when they shouldn't, overall I am very healthy.
I've always taken health for granted but as I get older, I am gaining a greater appreciation for my body and the ability to run. I recently told an new friend that I am more rested, more energetic and overall, just happier when I run. She laughed but I was serious. I think I've found that notorious "secret to life." Well, running and Jesus. I also love that I can still play basketball against my girls. The Boise State coach was at our practice recruiting Kari and said, "You sure have fun out there with them." And I do. Maybe too much. I love blocking their shots and shoving them to the ground or diving on top of them after a loose ball. I love that my arms and legs and hips are still speckled with black and blue bruises during the winter season.

5) I am thankful for hope. For the last 6 months this is what God has been whispering and sometimes shouting to me. Hope. I recite Romans 15:13 at least 4 times a day when it comes to mind. "May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him so that you may OVERFLOW WITH HOPE by the power of the Holy Spirit." Truly, I feel as if now, more than any time in my life, I am overflowing with hope.

Two days ago the same quote from Andrew Murray showed up in two of the different books I'm reading. When I read it the second time in the same night, I said, "What the?" Here's the quote:

We have a God who delights in impossibilities and who asks, 'Is anything too hard for me?' - Andrew Murray.

No. Nothing is too hard for Him. When I'm tempted to stop praying something because I've heard the answer "wait" for years, this reminds me to keep praying. Nothing is impossible with God. This is why I place my hope in Him. This is why He truly is the God of hope. This is why I am so thankful for hope. I know it is not in vain.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this Lucy, I am truly thankful for you!!! PS Every time we go to moms now and drive by the Photo shop Vander says" mom remember when you worked there but only for a day so dad makes fun of you" Haha I don't tell him I didn't even make it a day, pretty sure I quit at break:)

    ReplyDelete