Saturday, January 15, 2011

Causing A Scene

I accomplished a life goal today. I got on the jumbo-tron. Granted, it was at a women's USC game and there were only about two hundred people attending so chances were high that we'd get on the screen, but we made it up there nonetheless. I went with my team and we discussed before the game our strategy if we did make it on the giant screen. Ugly faces, of course. I convinced them that we all needed to make thee grossest faces possible if we made it up. They agreed.
Throughout the game we saw awkward fans dancing and cute kids dancing but then came our shinging moment near the end of the game. During a time out, suddenly, there were our faces, magnified and staring back at us from above. We screamed and I screamed, "Ugly faces!" and went to work distorting my faces in as many ways possible. I had a large repertoire to pull from: double chins, awkward tongue placements, lots of crossed eyes. I heard the gym erupt in laughter and I was so proud of my team. However, I couldn't see what they were doing since my eyes were crossed. However, when I finally uncrossed my eyes, I realized that I was the only one playing the game. All the other girls were watching the screen, watching me and laughing. It gets worse.

Just so I wouldn't miss out on how embarrassed I should have been in that moment, the cameramen, amused by my antics, showed an instant replay. I was able to watch the whole 10 second charade of me making really hideous faces while the team looked on and laughed. People turned and stared. I blushed. When we left the gym, several people gave me knowing looks and giggled at me. I felt a bit like a celebrity but not in a good way.
One of the joys of coaching is being able to pass on knowledge to the next generation. I taught the girls nothing about basketball today. However, I passed on much other valuable information. Not only did I teach them what to do when on the jumbo-tron, I also taught them how to distract a free throw shooter. They were yelling awkward words and I was doing Xena the Warrior Princess esq yells. We got quite a few looks at this game.

They also learned what to do when cheering for the visiting team. Some junior high girls sitting in front of us continually turned to "mad dog" us when we cheered for Oregon State. What did the mature coach do? I said loudly, "We'll be cheering all game. Stop looking so surprised." Basically, I was teaching them how to get in fights at sporting events.

They also learned what to do when bored. I made two of the girls play rock-paper-scissors and the loser had to ask a cheerleader to take a picture with her. They both ended up in the picture and made me proud with these faces:
After the game, I taught them how to walk awkwardly when in busy crosswalks and more importantly, I introduced them to Freebirds.
I frequented this burrito wonderland often while going to Westmont and another one finally opened closer to us. We ended our outing by stuffing our faces with giant, delicious, meaty burritos. Twas wonderful.

I rushed from one college game to the next and joined my family cheering for my Dad's team. However, I caused another scene at this game. There was no jumbo-tron but my presence was felt more than I ever intended. First, Vander and Huddy went missing. I have a bit of my mom in me and we both freaked. Heidi was surprisingly calm and collected (she gets that from our dad) because she knew they had to be in the gym. I, on the other hand, was having visions of them being kidnapped and freaked out a tiny bit. Only strangers witnessed the freak out. I told 6 or 7 different security personel to be on the look out for two blonde boys. I might have run down a few halls. I was basically on the verge of tears by the time I discovered their hiding spot in an area that was locked but someone had held open for them. "Look, Katie, a miniature ladder just for me!" beamed Vander while I grabbed him and hugged him. I might have cried a little. I might have run and scooped up Huddy and ran to show them to my mom who was equally frantic.

Then during half time, the boys wanted to shoot on the main court. They grabbed volleyballs and started shooting but insisted that I come play with them. Then they insisted that I shoot. I realized that the whole crowd was bored and had nothing to watch but me playing with my nephews on the court. I was also aware that my shirt was tied too tight to give me full range of motion for a normal shot so I used every trick up my sleeve to distract Vander so I wouldn't have to shoot and rip my shirt in front of the crowd. Out of excuses, I finally shot an akward looking shot and of course the ball landed right on Hudson's head and I looked like the jerk aunt who instantly started laughing. Don't worry- he got his revenge...

Later, we caused another scene when we were playing with volleyballs in the upper level. I wasn't watching Huddy closely enough who decided to chuck his ball over the railing. It hit a person and bounced onto the floor. If you read a few posts ago, he threw his toy horse and lion on the floor when I was watching him. I fear a pattern is emerging. However, this time, instead of pointing at Huddy, I just turned and ran behind a wall so no one could see me. When the whole crowd looked to see where the flying volleyball had come from, they could only see the red-faced 2 year old beaming.

Today was a full one indeed. Full of funny and awkward and embarrassing moments. Full of basketball and burritos and the people I love. Maybe it was the clear skies and the tall palm trees; or maybe it was the bright sun and 80 degree weather; or maybe it was all the laughter but today was indeed a beautiful one.

2 comments:

  1. Smile. You get into all manner of messes, don't you?

    How fun!

    We could probably write a sit-com about your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for entertaining them last night, upstairs gym might be the new hangout!!!

    ReplyDelete