Saturday, January 22, 2011

Recommendations

A few recent discoveries have changed my life and I feel it is my responsibility as a blogger and as a Christian to pass on these tips to improve your life as well.

1. TOMS shoes. I don't mean to appear cool or trendy by promoting these shoes that are actually quite cool and trendy but they are marvelous. They make me dance and leap when I wear them. Literally. (But only when I'm in the teachers lounge or classroom or kitchen by myself) I don't know if they have the same effect on all their users, but I can't help but twirl and prance like a ballerina when I wear them. My parents got me a pair for Christmas and though some might consider them way too casual to teach in, I wear them about once or twice a week to school. My students think I'm cooler because I wear them but that's not why I do it. I wear them because they are so comfortable. The tile in Hall A can be quite slippery, as I've discovered the hard way, but these shoes enable me to cross-country ski down the halls. I love it. Oh and the company gives away a pair of shoes to a kid in a third-world nation when you buy a pair. Let's be honest though, that's not what motivated me. I just liked them. My brother, always the cynic, tells me that not only are they expensive and ugly and lacking in support, Sketchers now does the same thing and gives away TWO pairs of shoes to poor kids. To him I say, "Good grief, Charlie brown. Lay off my cute, comfy shoes that are making me cooler than I actually am. Plus, Sketchers are lame."

2. Kindle. Another Christmas present and another discovery that has increased my happiness levels exponentially. I used to keep a book with me at all times (you never know when you'll need one) but now I carry 10 with me and it is marvelous. I can read in traffic and long lines, in gyms and on long bus rides. Life is better with books and even better with a Kindle.

3. Flat bread at Subway. Kelsi, my assistant coach, introduced me to this hidden treasure and I'm never going back to regular Subway bread. Now I can actually taste the meat and cheese that previously were lost in my giant bites of pure carbs. Not that I was concerned about the carbs; I just wanted to taste the cheese. I added a new addition to my vegetable variety as well. Cilantro. So small and so delicious. Granted, I typically end up with it stuck in my teeth but that's why I carry floss with me at all times. Floss and 10 books.

4. Power balance wristband. I'll be honest. I'm not totally sure how well it works. Trent did tests to show me how when I wear it I am more flexible and stronger and have better balance. When scrimmaging against my girls, I have found myself a bit stronger and have been making some crazy left-handed hook shots but I'm not sure if I should credit those moves to the band or sheer luck. I'd like to believe it was the magic band. However, the first day I wore it, I did two, not one but TWO, face plants. One while I was explaining to someone why I was wearing it. I think that classifies as irony. The second time I was running from my nephews while playing "Go Hide n Seek" as Vander calls it. They tend to cheat and only count to five so I really have to boogie to get a good hiding spot. However, I tried to sprint through the kitchen in my new TOMS and ate it pretty hard. Hudson immediately tackled me while I lay on the kitchen floor laughing. I also confess, that I partly wear it because I think it's cool. Can I admit that here? I will. Sometimes I want people to think I am cooler than I am. So I wear things like TOMS and power balance wristbands. I probably won't admit that to your face, though.

5. Parks And Recreation. Not the actual places. The show. It just came back on and my Thursday nights of pure comedy are complete again. I never actually watch on Thursday nights but it is part of a pretty phenomenal line-up of laughter. (I use Hulu which you should probably know about. I won't include it on my list of recommendations because I assume most people know about it and I don't want to pull another, "Hey you guys, have you heard of Pandora?" when everyone knew about it for at least 3 years before me. But grandma, grandpa, if you don't know about Hulu, look into it) On last night's first episode Amy Poehler gives a motivational speech while she plays the theme song from Chariots of Fire in the background. Rob Lowe, who plays a ridiculously intense character, sobs. I laughed so hard I scared my cat. Plus, the "Swanson Pyramid of Greatness" was incredible. Dad, you will love this Bobby Knight/Johnny Wooden wanna be.

6. James Horner. He will change your life for the better. I promise it. Well, maybe not for everyone, but some of you will really like this. I discovered him when I bought the Avatar soundtrack (can you see why I need to wear things to increase my coolness factor?) He does the music for epic movies like Braveheart and Titanic and his station includes songs from such classics as The Gladiator and Dances with Wolves. I programmed him as a new Pandora station just today and have been thinking all day, "my life will never be the same." Maybe I'm exaggerating but I LOVE this music. It is inspirational and makes grading essays kinda fun. I've been playing the game, "guess which movie that's from?" with myself all afternoon. I confess that I usually cheat but I guessed one was from Pirates of the Caribbean and I cheered aloud for myself. (Only got one strange glance) Maybe you aren't into inspirational music. Maybe you prefer music with words. Suit yourself. But if you're looking for a fun game to play with your friends or want to be inspired and feel like your boring, banal existence is actually as adventurous and epic as the movies, create a James Horner Pandora station. He will not disappoint.

How about you? I've shared six of my life-altering recommendations. You have any for me?

7 comments:

  1. Really? None? Come on friends, play along. I know some of you have read this. What can you recommend to me? An author? A book? A food item? A new ice cream flavor? A tv show? A movie? A way to stretch? A youtube clip? A brand of toilet paper I should be using? Make my life better please.

    My sister and I talk about 5 times a day so she makes her recommendations to my face but I'll pass along hers from today: Costco turkey and muddy buddies. Apparently, they sell pre-cooked turkey that just needs to be sliced and heated up and makes incredible turkey sandwiches. And they also have pre-made muddy buddies which Heidi says are delicious. This is dangerous information. I love this treat a little too much but won't typically make it for myself because they can be messy to make and takes about 15 minutes. And I consider 15 minutes a long time, so pre-made muddy buddies is wonderful news.

    Now, I'll ask again- what recommendations you got for me? Don't make me look like a tool and have no one respond. Then I'll have to go back and edit this post and delete this comment and the question and at the end so other people won't think I'm such a loser who writes blog entries that no one reads.

    Okay, I'm done grovelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are no loser - I will try to come up with something cool to recommend and post later.

    Wait, is #6 for me because you think I would like the game or did Cameron and I drive you crazy with our "Instrumental Movie Soundtrack" quiz when you were out here? I seriously cannot remember if we drug you through it and the thought of what I will be like in my old age scares me.

    Oh, and what in the world is a Power Balance Wristband? Is that what the kids these days are wearing instead of slap bracelets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katie:) Not only did you teach me that game, you sent me home with the cd which I play for my students and make them guess as well. And power bands are way cooler than slap bracelets because they are pretty much magic bracelets that make you more flexible and better balanced. I came basically do the splits now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moroccan Oil- You put it on your hair when it is still wet or damp and it is a conditioning treatment, LOVE IT!

    spokeo.com- a website that gives information about your income, age, phone number, address... go to the site and click on the privacy tab at bottom and you can remove yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew...I thought so. I am not losing it. I thought it better to err on the "I forgot, did I side" and be wrong rather than the "hey, I gave you a CD" side and be wrong and look like an unthoughtful shmuck.

    I have some more solid songs but with you having a Pandora station I do believe you are far beyond me at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a recommendation but a thought: people who wear TOMS look like they have smelly feet. Is this true? i have not bought any due to this observation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan- my first instinct was to say, "NO! We do not have smelly feet!" But then, so I knew I was being honest, I hid behind my desk during class, lifted my foot and sniffed. It wasn't pretty. I mean, I've never noticed the smell until my nose was centimeters away from my foot, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my foot did indeed smell like a stinky foot. However, this could just be me. And I may have stinky feet all the time. I'll do a little experiment, take a poll of other TOMS wearers and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete